Sunday, June 21, 2009

Med-Surg rotation 1 of 2

Well, I wasn't too excited about this rotation. I felt that I was mainly in the way and kept myself busy by helping the aides. Like I've said before...I'm comfortable with that role. I did alot of DC'ing (Discontinuing) IV's and couple of IV starts which apparently Im not so great at. It was easier on OB cause those women were young and had good veins. Older and sicker people are more dehydrated and that makes it harder to stick. I only got 1 out of 5. I have got to get the hang of it and SOON!
I didn't get to do anything crazy but I did change a colostomy, remove sutures, discharge teaching, wound vac dressing change on a stage 4 pressure ulcer, a couple of other dressing changes that were minor, a couple of admission databases, discharge teaching, and I learned that I will NEVER be snooty to nurse externs when Im in charge (LOL).
Tomorrow starts my ER rotation. Kim said she liked it so Im excited to see some action. I hope I don't make a fool of myself though :-)
Check back soon for my ER post!

0 comments: